So, it’s the end of the year and time for an update on #Nurture1314
Here’s my original post, with updates alongside
2) Be the best I can in my new role, while trying to get the best out of my staff as well. I know that’s going to be tough, and I have a steep learning curve coming up…It’s been a bumpy ride, but I’m getting there. I have blogged extensively about my journey, you can look if you want. Sadly, a significant change in role at the end of the summer term saw me reach burn out at October half term and I have been off ever since. I dislike this immensely, but I am listening to my body.
3) I want to write more….I am trying to take part in the 100Word Challenge for Grown Ups each week. I’m almost managing, and getting some lovely comments on some of my work as well.
4) I want to be able to continue baking…and I’m certainly doing that
5) I need to get back into swimming each week and walking when I can. My two best forms of stress relief available at the moment….As a result of the change in work, I knew that I needed to swim more often, so I joined the gym nearest work. I’ve been keeping a track most recently here
6) looking back at last years wishes, I want to do more travelling in other countries by train. We managed bits of Denmark, but I’d been there before….and this summer I went to Norway, flying out and then seeing some of the country by train before returning to the UK on the train, via Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Cologne, Brussels and London! I even got to sleep on the train. It was an amazing week, such a beautiful country but ever so expensive! some pictures
7) I am going to go to the Isle of Wight. To walk the long distance footpath, and to go to the VW festival….and indeed I did. The walking was good, the campsite was windy but I met some lovely people. The VW festival, sadly, was a but of a let down.
8) I will continue reading, it’s important to be able to escape from the real world now and again…perhaps next year I should keep a track of what I’ve read. So far it’s been a mix of new, recommendations from friends and old favourites. I’ve read so much this year.
9) I’d like to go to more concerts and gigs. I enjoy it, but not on a school night, and hockey gets in the way sometimes….I’ve been to the theatre (Black Coffee, Billy Elliott, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, CATS) and I’ve went to the Proms a couple of times, and tolerated a bit of the Godiva festival. There have been a couple of classical concerts but no gigs that I can recall. Next year, maybe…
10) I will maintain my garden, that should be easy enough!…a summer photo here it doesn’t look so impressive at the moment!
11) for someone else – I hope man next door gets the house ready and moves in soon…it’s been nearly three years since he bought it!…and he finally moved in in March, complete with a three legged cat. However, by the end of September he had moved out and now rents it to a young couple who don’t seem to understand that 3am is not the time to be playing the guitar.
12) not to only wear jeans and hoodies when I am not working…now the Ice Hockey season has finished this is a bit easier, and I am trying to wear other things. It’s not always happening though, but I did get through most of the summer without!
13) to see more distant friends more regularly, and get past my dislike of driving long distances on my own. The train isn’t always practical….and I failed miserably, although I did manage to go over to see one of my oldest friends get ordained in the summer.
14) I need to make more of an effort to see nearby friends regularly too. Teaching gets in the way of that, and I think I’m going to need them in the coming 12 months!..I didn’t realise when I wrote the last part how true it would become. I’ve really needed my friends recently, they have kept me sane and made sure I’m eating and getting out of the house. I really hate to think where I’d be without them!