So, it’s halfway through the year and time for an update on #Nurture1314
Here’s my original post, with updates alongside
2) Be the best I can in my new role, while trying to get the best out of my staff as well. I know that’s going to be tough, and I have a steep learning curve coming up…It’s been a bumpy ride, but I’m getting there. I have blogged extensively about my journey, you can look if you want
3) I want to write more….I am trying to take part in the 100Word Challenge for Grown Ups each week. I’m almost managing
4) I want to be able to continue baking…and I’m certainly doing that – although not as much as last year, but I’m trying new recipes.
5) I need to get back into swimming each week and walking when I can. My two best forms of stress relief available at the moment….again, we’re doing this most weeks and up to swimming 60 lengths in an hour with a chat between each ten. It’s an improvement on the thirty we managed in the first hour!
6) looking back at last years wishes, I want to do more travelling in other countries by train. We managed bits of Denmark, but I’d been there before….and this summer I am off to Norway, flying out and then seeing some of the country by train before returning to the UK on the train, via Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Cologne, Brussels and London! I even get to sleep on the train.
7) I am going to go to the Isle of Wight. To walk the long distance footpath, and to go to the VW festival….and indeed I am, it’s all booked and paid for.
8) I will continue reading, it’s important to be able to escape from the real world now and again…perhaps next year I should keep a track of what I’ve read. So far it’s been a mix of new, recommendations from friends and old favourites.
9) I’d like to go to more concerts and gigs. I enjoy it, but not on a school night, and hockey gets in the way sometimes….I’ve been to the theatre (Black Coffee, Billy Elliott, Les Mis, Miss Saigon) and I’ve got some trips to the Proms planned, but I haven’t managed a gig. I guess there’s always the Godiva Festival in July.
10) I will maintain my garden, that should be easy enough!…most recent photo here
11) for someone else – I hope man next door gets the house ready and moves in soon…it’s been nearly three years since he bought it!…and he finally moved in in March, complete with a three legged cat. He’s not been here much, I think his current job is ‘up north’ and Cat-next-door keeps trying to come in.
12) not to only wear jeans and hoodies when I am not working…now the Ice Hockey season has finished this is a bit easier, and I am trying to wear other things. It’s not always happening though.
13) to see more distant friends more regularly, and get past my dislike of driving long distances on my own. The train isn’t always practical….and I’m failing miserably
14) I need to make more of an effort to see nearby friends regularly too. Teaching gets in the way of that, and I think I’m going to need them in the coming 12 months!..again, I’m failing a bit here too I guess. Partly my reluctance to go out on a Friday night, it really is the last thing I need after a week at school.